Mine

"I am Infinite." -Me

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I'm Here. . . I'm Alive

My eyes open, and I stare into a night sky with a million stars, lighting the blackness with the soft-blue light it offers. Funny, but last I checked, every star in our sky had winked out mysteriously. I look around, and see I am in a wide field. Confused and lost, I stand up. There is no one in sight, nothing at all. All around me is gentle rolling hills covered in knee-high grass and weeds. Everything around me looks the same, and since I have no sense of direction, no land mark or constellation to guide me, I head to the left of where I had laid.

The stars above me give me light, but I feel so dark inside. So much confusion dwells inside me. I try to think, but everything is so fuzzy right now. I concentrate, halting, trying to remember. I see. . . water. . . and mist. Yes, it comes more clearly now. Water up to my shins, flowing gently off the edge of the world, and mist rolling back up and around me. There's a blur. . . No, two blurs. Two people, but they are obscured by fuzzy shadows. I cannot remember them, but they stand motionless, and I see myself becoming agitated, offended, aggressive.

I pull my daggers-- I have only one dagger in hand. Why only one? I always have two daggers. Something else is in my other hand, and, it too, is a blotted out shadow. And then I'm falling, and for a long time, water soaking me to bone, and only feeling fear, denying my inevitable demise. I close my eyes--

--And open them to realize that something happened somewhere. I am not home, and my location remains a mystery. I fell from somewhere, and must have hit the bottom of my graceless descent. I must be dead, and falling to my death is not a proud way to die. How did I fall though? And why am I here? How can I be dead, and still be here? Did I even die? I stop thinking about this; It's hurting my head.

I continue my walking, through a forest, onto a stone path. I walk past a small inn and a forge and continue. The stars have been blocked by the forest's majestic crowns, and diminished by the lights of the city ahead. Built by the ocean and mountains, and in the middle of a forest, I have no clue what lies ahead in such a strangely placed city. But whatever lies ahead, I shall endure. No matter what is in the future only one thing matters: I'm here. . . I'm alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment